The Benefits of Raspberry Leaf Tea for Pregnancy and Before
Many of my clients at New Leaf Acupuncture Clinic, Dublin, are pregnant or are looking to conceive soon. I wanted to post something about the interesting benefits of raspberry leaf tea and how it helps women before and during this journey.
Because raspberry leaf tea is naturally high in magnesium, potassium, iron and b-vitamins it is very helpful to your body for different reasons at key points in your journey.
- This tea has been used for centuries as a herbal remedy to increase fertility
- It strengthens the uterine wall while relaxing smooth muscle in the uterus. This improves chances of implantation and prevents miscarriage.
- The plentiful vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds in raspberry leaf tea help the body to detoxify hormones that may impede conception
- During pregnancy, when used with caution, this tea eases nausea and leg cramps, and improves sleep
- It provides vitamins and minerals including A, B complex, iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium in an easily absorbable form to help baby grow while keeping the mother nourished
- Many women also report that it reduces leg cramps and swelling associated with late pregnancy
- Along with acupuncture for Cervical Ripening , raspberry leaf tea has been shown to concentrate the effects of contractions to make them more effective
- Anecdotally, midwives have reported that the tea helps to shorten the second stage of labor (the pushing stage – from complete dilation of the cervix until the baby is born)
- A study published in the Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health in 2001 found that women who drank raspberry leaf tea had shorter labor, and fewer of their babies were delivered by forceps. Another study, published in the Australian College of Midwives Journal stated: “An unexpected finding in this study seems to indicate that women who ingest raspberry leaf might be less likely to receive an artificial rupture of their membranes, or require a caesarean section, forceps or vacuum birth than the women in the control group.” In other words, scientific studies show that drinking raspberry tea actually is beneficial during pregnancy
Apart from pregnancy . . .
- Raspberry leaf tea has been shown to reduce menstrual cramps and may help to regulate the flow of menstruation due to its effects on the uterus
- It helps to detoxify excess hormones which is very helpful during times of hormonal shift such as menopause or in the second half of the menstrual cycle (the two weeks before starting your period, which is when most women experience PMS).
While research and experience support the health benefits of raspberry leaf tea during pregnancy, as usual it is wise to consult a midwife or doctor before taking new food-type while pregnant.
Posted by Niall O’Leary
Click here for more information on Prices.
For an appointment, or free consultation to have your questions answered, call Niall on 087 2632732CONTACT US